Monday 2 March 2015

Planning the Herb Garden - do as James Martin does.

Mint & Herb GardenOne of my aspirations this year is to really get to grips with the Herb Garden.

Last year saw the gathering together of some herbs in a haphazard way including finding some Mint growing through and someone giving a Lemongrass plant.  Saturday Kitchen is one of my favorite cooking programmes with Yorkshireman James Martin.  I has always tickled me when the TV Chefs say "just grab some thyme"...   I mean who has a Herb Garden to hand?

It got me thinking about this a little deeper and a little bit more thorough and I came to the conclusion that there's two main types of Herbs from a cultivation point of view.  There's those that stand the English winter and then there's those that only grow here seasonally.  I spent quite a lot of time last year observing the garden allowing it all to soak in and to really get in tune with the plants and their cycles.

What transpired is that there's two main types of Herbs that survive the winter.  There are those that need deep soil and there are those that are not so deeply rooted.   Mint for example needs a big deep pot and so too does Rosemary because it grows in to a small tree, whereas others like Thyme are much smaller and only need a much shorter soil depth.

To get the most from the garden I've decided to focus on planting up these two types that remain alive year after year and consider the seasonal ones more of a catch crop.  What I'm hoping this means is that on Saturday morning I can watch my favorite TV Chef and in the afternoon I can do as he does and simply pop out and get some Rosemary.

As part of looking at how to organise a productive garden I've also looked at the catch crop type herb.   This is the Corriander, the Basil and the Rocket.  Some of these are planted in drills (long lines) and others are planted in little pots.  The big question is how to carve up the space so it works practically.

Over the next couple of blog entries I'll be sharing how I'm organising the planting up of this wide variety of herbs whether they be seasonal or the shallow or deep rooted plants that survive the winter.

For now I'm happy to know I've already got the common or garden mint potted up and really glad to have considered there's four different types of planting areas required that each need to perform and produce a crop.  It's taken twelve months to gather the ideas together in to something coherent and I'm looking forward to sharing what I've found with anyone else who is starting out.

That Rosemary sure does turn Lamb in to something a bit special.



No comments:

Post a Comment